Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My Little Questioner

This morning...

Alex: "Mama, mama! I want juice. Juice. Juuuuuuice!"
Me: "No, you just had a huge cup. Later."
Alex: "Uggh. WHY?"

It starts.

The rest of the day, it didn't matter what I said, this kid kept asking the classic toddler question, "WHY?" At first it was cute, but by the 20th time it was annoying. I've heard quite a few moms talking about how to handle the "why stage" so I took some of their advice. Here are the things that worked with Alex today:
  • I had to remember that he is LEARNING, not trying to irritate me. It worked best when I answered him simply and matter-of-factly.
  • Answer him with another question to keep him thinking. ("Why do you think you can't go outside without me?")
  • If he keeps repeating the same question over and over and over again, I simply told him to ask me later...and he listened!
Can't wait for the who, what, when, where and how's to start...

No comments: